The student news site of Lumen Christi Catholic School

Titan Times

Titan Times

Titan Times

Just Like the Old Days

New school year brings on new technology rules.

If you’ve been a student at Lumen Christi the last few years you know that technology has always been used in classrooms as a learning tool. This year at school things are different. Technology that is not being used as a learning resource is no longer allowed in the classroom. This includes iPads, phones, and other personal electronic devices. For years Lumen has always used technology for textbooks, learning websites, and typing papers. The last school year it was very noticeable to see that technology was becoming more of a distraction and less of a learning resource. The school has decided to go back to how things were in the past. The reason behind this is to focus more on learning and have less distractions in the classroom.

As the 2023-2024 school year starts the administration has been cracking down on technology usage. The big adjustment this year is that iPads are no longer allowed in the classroom. They have been deemed a distraction and no longer helpful as a resource to use while learning. In years past it was encouraged that you use your iPad in every class, but for now on if you do that it’s an automatic detention. To replace the iPad many classrooms have copies of the text in a hardcover book. While doing this it has kept students focus in class rather than being distracted by video games. Many teachers and administrators agree with no longer using iPads because they have found this as a way to keep the distractions down during school and students learning more.

Many people think that the only distractions caused by technology were the iPads. Administrators have found that an even bigger distraction in the classrooms are cell phones. Cell phones take away students’ focus when learning. Many students would rush through their work or not complete things thoroughly because they were distracted by their cell phones. Not only was being on your cell phone distracting to you, but it was always distracting to the other students. Hearing a ring from a call or a vibration from a text message would always disrupt the class. Lumen has decided to go back to the old days to minimize the distractions in the classroom.