The student news site of Lumen Christi Catholic School

Titan Times

Kills for Kellen

There are some things in the world that just give you a good feeling deep inside of you. When a group of people come together to help a great cause, you get that good feeling in your heart. Recently many people who attended the Lumen Christi versus Western volleyball game had this feeling. Western High School’s volleyball team played Lumen Christi High School’s volleyball team at Lumen this past Wednesday on the 19th. The teams decided that the game would be played for a fundraiser. The fundraiser is to honor Kellen McCord, a nine year old at Queen’s who is battling neuroblastoma, or nerve cell cancer. This type of cancer is extremely rare; there are 20,000 cases in the United States per year. The cancer is usually found in children from fourteen and younger. Kellen and his family are a part of the Jackson community. Kellen has an older brother who is a Junior at Lumen Christi named Jakob. He also has a cousin who is a Junior at Lumen Christi as well. His cousin, Karsen, plays on the Lumen Christi volleyball team. The money raised from t-shirt sales and donations from the fans in attendance will help families battling childhood cancer. People pledged a certain amount of money every time there was a kill from either team that will also go to the proceeds. The proceeds will go to all types of cancers. The McCord family has started their own fundraiser called Kellen’s Crusade. Kellen has been battling cancer for 5 years and will continue to fight until he overcomes it. Kellen is an inspiration to us all; his bravery and his ability to keep fighting is truly remarkable. The game was a huge turnout with many fans and supporters in attendance. This game and fundraiser shows how close the Jackson community is and the willingness to come together for a great cause.