Titan Times

Filed under Sports

2 Lumen golfers named to All-State team

To be named an All-State athlete is a tremendous honor that takes hard work, dedication, discipline, and continuously working toward one’s goal.  On Friday, November 3rd, 2017, Geraldine Berkemeier and Hillary Ziemba were named to the Division 4 All-State team. This was Geraldine’s final season playing for the Lumen Christi Titans.  Geraldine and Hillary both played instrumental roles in helping to lead the Titans to a second place finish in the Division 4 girl’s golf state finals.  Geraldine and Hillary had two great days of golf and tied for third place at the state tournament.  Geraldine fired rounds of 84 on her first day and 79 on the second.  Hillary, a junior this season, was very consistent with Geraldine shooting rounds of 79 and 84.

Throughout the entire season leading up to the state tournament, Geraldine and Hillary faced many challenging courses.  When asked what the toughest course they played all year was, Geraldine said, “Forest Akers West on the campus of Michigan State University.”  “I was able to stay out of all the deep sand traps and get out of trouble.” Hillary’s toughest course was The Medalist in Marshall Michigan, which was the site of the regional tournament and also the tournament that Hillary won.  Hillary’s best round this season was a 76, and when asked what she’ll miss most about the season, she replied, “Spending time with my team and competing.”  The state tournament for the girls this year was at Forest Akers East, the other 18 hole course opposite of West.  Geraldine also said that her best round all season was up at Forest Akers West.  She said, “While it wasn’t my best round scoring wise, I was hitting most of my targets which made it seem easy.”  

After being named one of the best golfers in the state of Michigan, one would think that she would go on and play in college.  Geraldine said she is still undecided on a college to attend, but she is in contact with coaches right now.   Hillary said she has plans to play college golf and will likely soon be in contact with coaches after having such a great season.

Being named All-State in any sport is a very prestigious honor for a high school athlete, and it is very exciting that Geraldine Berkemeier and Hillary Ziemba  have represented Lumen Christi so well and continuing to keep the tradition.  Whatever path Geraldine and Hillary decide to take, they have proven that each can excel at anything they put their minds to.  Congratulations Geraldine and Hillary on a phenomenal season!