Titan Times

Fall Tenui Retreat

Tenui is a retreat that Lumen offers to sophomores to have the opportunity to get away from the stresses of high school and life in general. The group just got back from the retreat this Monday, November 13. It took place at Camp Desales in Brooklyn. This camp is run by the oblates of St. Francis, and it is described as the most beautiful place in the world by many of the students who attend. The purpose of Tenui is get away from distractions by turning your phone off and living in the moment. It is designed to help the students build stronger relationships with each other along with their relationship with God. Lumen’s core foundation is to make God the center of your life and to recognize His works in your life. Tenui does exactly that with the help of staff and student leaders that lead group discussions and activities. Even though this is an amazing experience that is wanted to be shared and talked about to others, it can not. Tenui is designed so every year the different groups do not know what to expect when entering on Sunday. This may be uncomfortable for people to not be in control of the agenda, but it forces students to live in the moment and grasp every aspect of the retreat. Although praying is great, that is not all that was planned at Tenui. There was a great balance of silent time and fun group activities for everyone. Free time was set up to play board games, play basketball, listen to music, or just talk with your friends. The biggest advice students give when leaving Tenui is to go into the weekend with an opened mind and open heart to let God in and form friendships with people you do not normally talk to. The bonds formed at retreats can be a special bond of trust and love that no one else experiences. Use those friends to talk to when you’re having a bad day or need a hug. The students of Lumen Christi are lucky to have these experiences of retreats, and everyone should take advantage of them and make it an experience to remember.