Titan Times

German Students treated to German Concert

On Wednesday, November 1st, the German students went on a field trip to Aquinas College in Grand Rapids for a German concert by the band Einshoch6. There were German classes from many other schools there, too. There were classes from Holt, Grass Lake, and Mason, among others. Einshoch6 is a group that combines hip hop and classical music, and is quite famous in Germany. They used instruments like violins, cellos, keyboards, and electric guitars. The band is doing a tour of the United States because they are sponsored by the American Association of Teachers of German, as well as the American Council of Teachers of Foreign Languages. Their songs have been featured by the Deutsche Welle website and television station because their lyrics are clear, and useful to German learners.  So, the band has found an interesting niche in playing to German learners around the world, while also being succesful within Germany.

There was one guy that would rap and everyone else would play classical music and some other kind of music. There was another guy that would beatbox, and he was really good at it. Everyone there had a very fun time, even though we may not have understood all of the words. They played songs that we had heard in class and there were some songs that were new that we had never heard before. This opportunity was great because not many students can say they went to a concert for language class. This was a great opportunity to learn more German and learn more about German culture through German music and German people. With this opportunity, we were able to learn more about German through other means, other than sitting in a classroom and just reading from a book. We learned German vocabulary through music and we learned how to form sentences through music.. This was a good learning experience for all of the German students that went on this trip, and it was nice to be able to have fun and learn at the same time.