Titan Times

REPEAT CHAMPS!

For the second consecutive year, Lumen Christi has visited Ford Field and played for the Division 6 State Championship. The journey leading up to the big game began with a 48-15 pre-district drubbing against Quincy followed by a dominating 51-14 win over Michigan Center (9-2) for what would be the senior class’ final game at Crowley Memorial Field. A regional title came against a high-powered Watervliet (11-1) team who came into the game averaging over 45 points, but was held to just 6 points through the first three quarters. The Panthers scored two touchdowns in garbage time for a final score of 44-22. Warren Michigan Collegiate (12-1) would be their next opponent in the Semifinal game ,which the team won by a score of 44-12.  Chelsea High School was the host of the neutral-field affair. The Titans went head-to-head against powerhouse Ithaca (13-0) for the Division 6 State Title on November 24th at Ford Field.

The boys and girl have put in a tremendous amount of effort this season , which has not only made them better as a team, but has strengthened their relationships. This effort  includes practicing six out of seven days a week. As preparation for the biggest game of the season, they traveled to MSU and U of M to get a feel for the indoor experience. They even spent Thanksgiving together as a family in hopes of staying focused for the day.

The state final game against Ithaca had the Titans coming up big on the ground. They came just short of setting the record for most rushing yards in a D6 title game. Through the three-pronged attack of Sebastian Toland, Kyle Minder, and Nick Thomas, they racked up 5 rushing TDs and 514 rushing yards. Toland finished the game with 244 yards on 33 attempts and one touchdown. Minder ran for 206 on 23 attempts for three touchdowns. And Thomas ran for 74 yards on 2 attempts and 1 touchdown. Ithaca’s quarterback Joey Bentley had a big game, throwing for 240 yards in the air, and adding another 89 on the ground.

The game was a fantastic game. At the half, Lumen was down 13-8. We scored 16 points in the third quarter to go back up 24-13 after three. The fourth quarter saw all sorts of scoring. Eventually, the Titans had the score up to 40-20, but Ithaca showed why they were undefeated this season. They showed fight to the very end. Bentley threw for two quick touchdowns, which brought the score to 40-34. Fortunately for the Titans, we recovered all of the onside kicks, and prevented Ithaca from getting the ball back. With less than a minute left, and the Titans with the ball and 4th and 1, Kyle Minder managed to punch the ball through, which prevented the Yellowjackets from getting the ball back and trying one last-second heave for the endzone. Through the grace of God, the Titans beat Ithaca by the score of40-34, giving them the Division 6 State Championship for the second year in a row, and coach Herb Brogan’s 8th state title. Congratulations on a job well done!