Titan Times

Students Should Get Less Homework

Homework is given for students to help and prepare them for their educational futures. Each day, students get home from school and get right to work on their homework or they stay up all night finishing something due the next day. Many people would argue that students do not have the time to do two to three hours of homework each night. Students should have less homework so they can participate in extracurricular activities. Most students are involved in something outside of the classroom whether it is a sport, club, or a charity.  It is hard for students to participate in all the extracurricular activities that they are expected to when they have homework that they have to do all evening. In order for students to be successful in the classroom, they need time to relax and pursue their passions outside of school.

When students are up so late finishing homework, it causes them to fall asleep in school so they may not even retain all the information given that day. Lack of sleep is associated with the health of students. Also, if students are overwhelmed, each assignment will not be done with full effort. It will be done in a rush and could also result in the assignment not being turned in on time.

Students should be given much less homework each night so they can focus on other things. There are many other factors in a student’s life that should be considered, like family, extracurricular activities, work, and friends. If students go to school all day and go home to do more school work then they are not giving valuable time to other things that can also help them in their future. Homework can be beneficial to students if given in a small and effective portion, but can create even bigger problems if given too often.